Thursday, March 17, 2011

Daily Devotion for 3/17/11 Drowning?

Good Morning Folks! Today's devotional comes from Andy Baker out of Tennessee. I needed this! Yesterday was a day I felt like I was drowning...I had a really emotional day and I needed God more than I knew...He stepped in and fought all of my battles on yesterday. Thank you God for your continued support. Thank you for being Jehovah Jireh the Lord who provides. Thank you for the new mercies you allow me to see with each new day.

Be encouraged on today Family. I love you all...SN: No phone for the next few days so if you've been trying to reach me, now you know why you haven't heard from me

Today's Topic: Drowning?

Scripture Text: Mark 4:35-41



"Woe to me!" [Isaiah] cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty."
-Isaiah 6:5 (NIV


WHILE visiting a public pool recently, I considered the contrast between the lifeguard and those who are in danger. Being the lifeguard is by far the more desirable position. I would prefer something like the role of lifeguard in my daily life as well. But the truth is, I am often more like the one who is drowning.

I am the one who needs the Lord to provide my daily food, clothing, and shelter (Matt. 6:33). I am the one who has sinned and fallen short of God's glory (Rom. 3:23). As a result, I am the one in need of daily forgiveness as I confess my sins and my need for God (1 John 1: 9). I am the one drowning. Like Isaiah, I have unclean lips (Isa. 6:5). Like Paul, I do the very things that I do not want to do (Rom. 7:15). Like Peter, I try to help God and act in ways that my human understanding dictates as a better plan (Matt. 16:22; John 18:10-11) -- even though I am the one drowning.

Aren't we all more like the one drowning than like the lifeguard? Jesus said, "Blessed are those who are poor in spirit" -- those who recognize their need for God -- "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" (Matt. 5:3). The more we recognize our desperate need for God, the closer we come to God's kingdom.

Andy Baker (Tennessee, USA)

Prayer
Dear God, help us to remember when we feel like we are drowning that you are close at hand to help us. Amen.



Prayer Focus

Those who fear water



Peace, Blessings and Love,

:: LA ::

No comments:

Post a Comment