Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Daily Devotion for 7/5/11 Awesome Love

There is a strong chance that I may have to get them taken out and the recovery time as an adult is a lot different from a child. It's been a rough 2 weeks but God has been keeping me.

Here's today's devotion:

Today's Topic: Awesome Love
Scripture Text: Mark1:10


"As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove."


SUMMER storms on Florida's west coast can be intense and frightening. As scary as they may be, I still feel a curious sense of wonder as I observe these storms approaching. Seeing dark clouds angrily churning just before a deluge begins is a scene of beauty to me. Such a display is testimony to the awesome power of the One who created weather.

I imagine something similar when I think of the day at the Jordan River when Jesus was baptized. The scripture says that heaven was "torn open." This wasn't a gentle parting; rather, it was a powerful display to announce the anointing of God's Son, Jesus.

And yet what followed was a tender statement of love from a father to a son: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased" (Mark 1:11). This same God who opened the heavens that day also reaches down to us in love. God is the all-powerful Lord who tenderly loves us and seeks our love in return. How can we resist or reject a love that is so awesomely, and yet gently, offered?

Michael J. Reynolds (Florida, USA)
Prayer
Kind Father, thank you for your amazing, undeserved, and compelling love. Amen.


Prayer Focus

Those who feel unlovable


Have a blessed day!

:: LA ::

No comments:

Post a Comment