Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Daily Devotion for 7/6/11 Entangled in sin

Today's Topic: Entangled in Sin
Scripture Text: Psalms 40:2


[The Lord] drew me up from the desolate pit, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure


AS a child I loved to spend long summer days running barefoot in our backyard. Sometimes briars would take over sections of the yard; and because of my sensitive feet, I chose to frolic elsewhere.

One day, I attempted to cross one of the briar patches. I tiptoed and hopped around, trying to avoid the thorns and thistles. After a few moments, I realized that I had made it only to the middle of the briar patch. My tender toes and I were surrounded. I felt trapped and afraid. Then I did the only thing I knew to do. I cried out, "Daddy!" Soon, I saw my father running through the backyard toward me. He picked me up and set my feet back on the soft grass.

Like me approaching that briar patch, we tiptoe around sin only to find ourselves suddenly entangled, with no way out. Fortunately, we have a loving father who hears our cry. God reaches down, pulls us out of the briars of sin, and sets our feet on the right path.

Mitzi C. Smith (South Carolina, USA)

Prayer

Thank you, God, for saving us. We pray in gratitude, saying, "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."* Amen.

Prayer Focus


Those who are entangled in sin

1 comment:

  1. This goes along with what Danielle taught last night "The Fatherhood of God".

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete