Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Daily Devotion for 5/4/11 Timely Words


Good Morning Folks! What a rainy Wednesday it is...But after every shower there's a rainbow and new things grow...so thank you God for the rain...Here's today's devotion

Today's Topic: Timely Words

Scripture Text: Psalms 139-:13-18


The psalmist wrote, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

OLD-FASHIONED New Englanders don't say much, and my grandfather was no different. The deep lines on his face and hands told of his many years of service in the navy and the local fire department. Somewhere along this difficult journey, my grandfather developed mastery of the timely word. My brother and I knew the signs -- when we saw his twinkling glance and the thin curve of his smile, we would wait in suspense for his perfect joke that would send us roaring.

As Gramp's health began to fail last year, he turned that careful expressiveness to the messages of love he wanted to leave. My mother weeps openly when she recounts how this former seaman gazed at her with eyes as deep as the oceans he once sailed and said to her, "I love my pretty girl. That's my pretty girl." At the end of a life full of timely words, his last was to let his child know how special she was to him.

In the Bible, we can read that the psalmist understood that God sees each of us the same way Gramp saw his daughter, as a beloved child. Each of us is "fearfully and wonderfully made," the pinnacle of God's creation. I will take comfort in the assurance of our Creator's skillful work until the day I hear God say, "I love my handsome boy. That's my handsome boy."

Derik Timmerman (North Carolina, USA)
Prayer
Loving God, thank you for making us part of your creation. Help us to see others and ourselves as you do. Amen.

Thought for the Day
God looks at each of us through eyes filled with love.

Prayer Focus

Those who feel unloved

No comments:

Post a Comment