Friday, June 17, 2011

Daily Devotion for 6/17/11 The Anchor Holds

Happy Friday People!!!

Today's Topic: The Anchor Holds

Scripture Text: Hebrew 6:19


"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul."


I huddled in a corner, tears flowing. Though the marks on my body were new, they were not unfamiliar. For years I had prayed for my husband, a Christian, and for an end to the beatings he inflicted in his rages. God had been my anchor as I grew up, and I wondered why God had not intervened to stop the abuse.

Earlier that evening as I left to attend a Christian concert, my husband had told me not to come back. When I returned, he threw me into a wall. This time, to my amazement, through my tears the words "I want a divorce" fell out of my mouth. And as they did, I felt the chains of fear and oppression lift. God whispered to me that I would never be hurt again by this man. That night, my Anchor held.

Until that very moment, I never understood how much God loved me or the vastness of God's grace. God does not intend for any of us to be oppressed and abused, and God wanted a safe harbor for me. I am a living example of the words from the song, "the anchor holds, though the ship is battered." I was battered, and I thank God for being my steadfast and true anchor. God helped me to leave the raging sea of abuse and led me to the freedom Christ offers and wants for each of us.

Prayer

O God, free us from all that oppresses us. Amen.

Thought for the Day

God calls us from bondage to freedom and fullness of life.

Prayer Focus


Those living with abuse
Have a blessed, safe and wonderful weekend :)

Love y'all

:: LA ::

No comments:

Post a Comment