Monday, April 18, 2011

Daily Devotion for 4/18/11 Stay in touch

Good Morning Folks! Happy Monday. I needed this one this morning. Have a great day!

Today's Topic: Stay in Touch
Scripture Text: John 15:1-11

Jesus said, "Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me."
-John 15:4 (NRSV)

AFTER my church's Palm Sunday service, I brought home two palm-like branches. On a whim, I stuck one of them in a pot that contained a houseplant. I laid the other on a shelf, intending to deal with it later. During the following week as I watered my plants, I was amazed to see that the branch in the planter was still green. The branch lying on the shelf was yellow and wilted.

I should have put that branch in the pot, too, I thought. And then I did just that. A few days later, to my surprise, the branch had turned green despite having been on the shelf several days before.

The branch in the potted plant was in touch with what it needed for life -- soil, water, fertilizer -- and so it thrived. The other branch had no such source at first. But when it had soil and water, it too began to take on the signs of life.

This reminds me of our experience as Christians. When we are separated from our source of spiritual life, Christ Jesus, we wither and fade spiritually. But when we stay in touch with our Savior through Bible study, prayer, devotional reading, serving, and fellowship with others, we take on the life Christ has promised us.

Velma G. Warder (Minnesota, USA)
Prayer
Loving God, help us keep in touch with you, the source of our spiritual life. Amen.

Thought for the Day
This week, try a new way of serving God's people.


Prayer Focus

Those who need to be refreshed by God


Have a great day everyone!

Peace and God's Blessings to you!

I'm here if you need me

:: LA ::

No comments:

Post a Comment