Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Daily Devotion for 4/6/11 Called to Serve

Good Morning Folks! I pray you have a productive day!

Today's Topic: Called to Serve

Scripture Text: Deuteronomy 15:7-11; Acts 20:35


Paul wrote, "In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" Acts 20:35


DUE to a heart attack, my dad retired in 1984. My parents purchased a mobile home in West Texas. In 1987, they were introduced to Mabel and Elizabeth Claire, a chance meeting that changed their lives. Mabel and Elizabeth had observed the devastation caused by a hurricane and started helping people in Nuevo Progreso, Mexico. Their work consisted of building homes, paying tuition for students, helping with medical care, and working in a food pantry.

Because of these women, my parents heard the Holy Spirit whisper to them to begin building homes for these needy families. Their faith has grown tremendously as a result of answering God's call to serve. My parents believe that God has allowed them many healthy years in retirement. They have a God-directed purpose that keeps them active and has blessed them in many ways as they continue to be faithful to Christ. My parents' view of the Mexican people has changed. They no longer see stereotypes but think of them as individuals and families whom they deeply love. Who except God could have worked through my dad's health problems to lead my parents across national borders and into a growing relationship with Christ?

Greg Scott (Hawaii, USA)
Prayer
Dear God, help us to respond to your call to serve wherever we are. Amen.

Thought for the Day
God calls us to go where we might never go on our own.
Prayer Focus

Those rebuilding after disaster

No comments:

Post a Comment